Why you should ...
State by State
NSW, Qld, SA, Vic, WA
International May Day Brigade Cuba
Call for the 10th International May Day Brigade
April 27 to May 10, 2015
The Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples and its travel Agency Amistur Cuba S.A, invites you to participate in the 10th edition of the international brigade, on the occasion of the international workers’ day.
In addition to the voluntary work, participants will visit places of historical and social interest, receive lectures about our reality, and will have the possibility to exchange with representatives of different social and political organizations, they may exchange with Cuban workers and unionists and visit Playa Giron, where for the first time in Latin America imperialism received its first defeat in less than 72 hours.
The Brigade will take place in the provinces of Havana, Artemisa and Matanzas (Playa Giron). The same will lead the participants a better understanding of the current Cuban reality, in the midst of transformations that are carried out in Cuba, as part of the update of the economic model of our Socialist project.
To view and/or save full program click here.
International Solidarity Affair (ISA) – Philippines
April 27 - May 6
The International Solidarity Affair (ISA) is an annual gathering of workers, trade-union activists, labor rights advocates, friends and supporters of the working class from all global regions. It is hosted annually by Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU) labor center. 2015 is the 31st year of the International Solidarity Affair (ISA).
Theme: Workers and Peoples Unite: Fight Neoliberal Attacks on Wages and Trade-union Rights
See here for more information.
Fight for our rights – Nationwide protest – March 4th
Wednesday March 4
Our rights at work are again under attack from the Abbott Government and employers.
Just last month, it became even clearer that the full-scale Productivity Commission inquiry into our rights at work could deliver cuts to penalty rates, the abolition of the minimum wage, bring back unfair individual contracts and swing even more power to the employers.
The time to stand up and fight back is now.
Let’s march together with thousands of our neighbours, workmates, friends and families at a national rally on Wednesday, 4 March.
We can’t stand by while the Abbott Government destroys our living standards by:
- cutting wages, conditions and our rights at work,
- slashing Medicare and hiking up the cost to see a doctor,
- introducing $100,000 university degrees,
- cutting the ABC and our public services,
- cutting the pension and superannuation,
- implementing harsh changes to unemployment benefits, and
- cutting community services that support our most vulnerable.
If you have had enough and want to stand up for an Australia where seeing a doctor or going to university isn’t dependent on how big your bank balance is, where you have a secure job with a decent wage and where we don’t leave the next generation with less rights than we had, then join us on 4 March.
Let’s make it crystal clear to the Abbott Government and their big business supporters: we didn’t vote for these cuts and we won’t sit back while they attack our living standards.
- Adelaide: 12:00pm, Light Square, Adelaide
- Brisbane: 12:00pm, Parliament House, Brisbane
- Canberra: 12:15pm, New Parliament House, Canberra
- Darwin: 4:30pm, Bennett Park, Darwin
- Hobart: 12:30pm, Franklin Square, Hobart
- Launceston: 8:00am, Prince’s Square, Launceston
- Mackay: 4:30pm, 2/21 Milton Street, Mackay
- Melbourne: 10:00am, Victorian Trades Hall, Carlton
- Newcastle: 10:00am, Newcastle Town Hall
- Perth: 12:30pm, Parliament House, West Perth
- Sydney: 12:30pm, Parliament House, Sydney
- Townsville: 4:30pm, 340 Ross River Road, Cranbrook
(Text and details from the www.australianunions.org.au site.)
For posters see www.australianunions.org.au/resourcecentre
What is happening in Greece?
Postponed - new schedule to appear here soon
Tuesday 24 February
74 Buckingham St, Surry Hills
Port Jackson Branch invites Party members and supporters to hear Comrade Stratos Mavrantonis speak on developments in Greece.
Welcome the new Cuban Ambassador / Celebrate freedom of Cuban 5
Friday 27 February
CFMEU, 12 Railway St, Lidcombe
Welcome the new Cuban Ambassador to Australia, His Excellency Mr José Manuel Galego Montano and celebrate the release of the Cuban Five.
Light food and refreshments will be available for purchase.
All funds raised will go to support ongoing Cuba solidarity projects.
- Professor Jack Beetson, “Yo Si Puedo” Aboriginal literacy campaign, supported by Cuba
- His Excellency Mr José Manuel Galego Montano, Cuban Ambassador
For more information contact Marce on 0413 158 480
Women, Active in Struggle Around the World – Roundtable Forum
Sunday 8 March
Maritime Union Building Level 1, 365 Sussex Street, Sydney
Featuring speakers from
- Cuba: building socialism
- Philippines: Workers’ Solidarity
- On trade union struggle
- Solidarity groups
Entertainment, refreshments available
For further information contact Linda 02 9699 8844
Presented by the Communist Women’s Collective
Politics in the Pub
This web page was last updated:
Wednesday, February 25, 2015